SailNet Community - View Single Post - Memorial Day Weekend
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2008
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Champlain was quiet... we took my parents-in-law out for a nice day of sailing on Saturday, which they absolutely loved. It was blowing 10-15 so perfect weather, although we were getting gusts to 28 on our downwind run back to our marina. On Sunday we thought we'd be motoring to Burlington VT due to the 0-5 winds on the nose. We watched others with their sails up moving along at 0.1-0.5 knots. Since we wanted to make it to West Marine in Burlington (needed a couple of odds and ends) we motored out of the bay where we keep our boat. Once we turned the corner into the main lake, it started blowing around 8-10, so we ended up having a leisurely sail across the lake. We grabbed a mooring in Burlington and enjoyed all it had to offer that night. On Sunday we woke up to an angry sky and white caps. It was blowing a steady 18-20. We headed out with a reef in the genny and full main and screamed across (well, screamed for us - about 6.8-7 kts) the main lake. When we turned into our bay we looked back and saw we were being chased by thunderstorms. This is where the front started kicking in and we lost all air, so we ended up motoring to our slip, just beating the rain. All in all, a great weekend with family. Champlain is still still fairly empty, which is somewhat strange for this time of year.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook