SailNet Community - View Single Post - Can someone recommend a good summer easy cruise?
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2008
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
Can someone recommend a good summer easy cruise?

Hi, I have been sailing for four months, often, but only from the harbour in Honolulu on my Cal 20, and never further than 6 knots away from the harbour entrance. I have been out in winds up to 25 mph and with some swells, maybe up to 6 ft. I've learned the basics about sailing and maintenance and this summer I want to cruise somewhere on the mainland.

My plan was go to said destination, but a boat maybe a 22-24 footer, for up to $3000 and start close to the marina, get maps, learn local tides and currents, and then branch farther out.

Can you recommend where would be a good place to do this? Hopefully somewhere where I can anchor and not always be in marinas, and where marinas aren't mored than $20 a night. Here in Honolulu it's like $6 a night ofr a 22 ft. guest, but I've heard some places are crazy expensive, so I'd rather not that.

My family lives in Eugene Oregon, but I don't have to stay on the west coast, I'm also willing to go to some sail friendly easyish lake, maybe great lakes, maybe ozarks, don't know. I want to see almost everywhere, so I could base my decision more on coast, sailor friendlyness and good for beginnier level.

Thanks for the advice.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook