SailNet Community - View Single Post - Can someone recommend a good summer easy cruise?
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 05-28-2008 Thread Starter
northoceanbeach
first sailed january 2008

Can someone recommend a good summer easy cruise?

Hi, I have been sailing for four months, often, but only from the harbour in Honolulu on my Cal 20, and never further than 6 knots away from the harbour entrance. I have been out in winds up to 25 mph and with some swells, maybe up to 6 ft. I've learned the basics about sailing and maintenance and this summer I want to cruise somewhere on the mainland.

My plan was go to said destination, but a boat maybe a 22-24 footer, for up to $3000 and start close to the marina, get maps, learn local tides and currents, and then branch farther out.

Can you recommend where would be a good place to do this? Hopefully somewhere where I can anchor and not always be in marinas, and where marinas aren't mored than $20 a night. Here in Honolulu it's like $6 a night ofr a 22 ft. guest, but I've heard some places are crazy expensive, so I'd rather not that.

My family lives in Eugene Oregon, but I don't have to stay on the west coast, I'm also willing to go to some sail friendly easyish lake, maybe great lakes, maybe ozarks, don't know. I want to see almost everywhere, so I could base my decision more on coast, sailor friendlyness and good for beginnier level.

Thanks for the advice.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome