SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jib or Main question?
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2008

nk235 is on a distinguished road
Since I first started this thread I have done a lot of experimenting in different wind conditions with different sails. One day it was blowing 15-25mph and I had a reef in the main and the geneo 3/4 unfurled. I was doing between 5.5-6.5 knts and the helm was balanced so nicely that I could have steered with my pinky. The boat actually does sail very nicely with just the genny but there is a far amount of weather helm. It does not particularly sail well with just the main. I'v also learned it is different with every single boat. My last boat was a 25' with a very tall main stepped further toward the bow than most boats and also with a very small fractional jib. That boat sailed excellent with just the main and very poor with just the jib. The Morgan 323 I have now is my first mast head sloop with roller furling and I just bought it this season so I didn't know what most others did in different conditions. Now that I have been out on it a lot more I am starting to get a feel for how this particular boat responds in different winds with different sail combos out there. I can tell you though it is real satisfying to have the boat cranking along over hull speed and also having the helm be perfectly balanced so you know you are sailing the boat correctly.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook