SailNet Community - View Single Post - My learn to sail experience!
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
I'll add a thing or two.
Merlin has talked quite abit about how to go about learning the 'fun' part of sailing: to wit the making the boat move through the water.

Look around at this forum and note how many of the threads are not about 'how do I trim my sails' - uh uh, most are about - 'help my ??? broke and I don't know how to fix it'.
Small boats are nice - they have no systems that need repair and upgrade that are more complicated than a level and pulley system.

Bigger boats require bigger systems, Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing, Hydraulic etc.
I'm one of those guys that learned by buying a bigger boat and diving into the whole gesalt of sailing and boating head first.
Get your library of maintenance books out and start reading, take community college classes in diesel engine maintenance and repair, electrical system repair, theory etc, etc. etc. ad nauseum etc.
There is no side of the road to pull over to when water is coming in at 3000 gallons per hour and your bilge pump is rated at 2000 gph at zero head.
How many of you even know what your bilge pump is rated at, and how to recalculate for the head you have (how many of you know what I mean when I say head - and it's not bathrooms on board so wipe so the smile of your face if you said that).
Dinghy's don't have fire extinquishers, Nav lights, and usually only know racing rules right of way problems. They don't have batteries that must be recharged, topped off or have daily load calculations and charging concerns.
You will never, in a dinghy, need to know how many gallons of water you need per day per crew just to get by, and seldom worry about medical supplies and communications devices and how many, what types etc.. you should carry.

They say chess takes minutes to learn and a life time to master, sailing is as simple as chess, or far more complex.

Learning starts with feeling the wind on your face and the tiller in your hand. Learning never ends; and that my friends is the joy of sailing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook