SailNet Community - View Single Post - Friday the 13th
Thread: Friday the 13th
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2008

sgkuhner is on a distinguished road
I for one am very superstitious and will NEVER leave port on a Friday for a major passage. When I was working we would always get on Tamure Friday evening and then leave the mooring for Maine just after midnight. Now let me tell you a story of when we were in Bora Bora on our circumnavigation. We were at the dance contest the night of Fete and as the dancers were off for a break, the guy next to me asked if we were going to Suvarov after Bora Bora. I said yes we were. He said, "great lets go together." "Sure that would be fun," I said, "when do you want to leave?" "Lets go day after tomorrow" was his reply. "Fine," I said, "But wait that is Friday!" He looked at me inquisitively and asked, "SO?" "Don't you know it is bad luck to leave on a Friday?" I responded "you're not superstitious are you?" he asked. "I sure am" I said. "Well I'm not and we are ready to go on Friday; so I guess we will just meet you there."

He left on Friday and that night a BIG unannounced front came through and blew 60 kts for three days. On the fourth day, he came powering back through the pass....without his mast! Let me tell you he will never leave port on a Friday again!! here is a picture of him as he anchored back in the lagoon of Bora Bora.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook