SailNet Community - View Single Post - ASA 104 Live Aboard Courses, Virgin Islands - Feedback?
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2008

slokaj is on a distinguished road
My husband and I took ASA104 with Rob Swain last summer and would strongly recommend his school. We had limited sailing experience (ASA101 on a small inland lake on a 17' keelboat the previous summer and ASA103 on Lake Michigan early last summer, other than that our only experience was on a Hunter 170 in SW Michigan), but were extremely comfortable sailing the 43' Jeanneau. His typical class size is 4 people, we ended up as a class of 2 as the other people cancelled at the last minute. It was the best vacation we ever had -- great experience (from the moment we left the dock at Nanny Cay with my husband at the wheel to our final docking with me at the helm, one of us was at the helm at all times), great companionship, learned a ton and had fun doing so. My husband's favorite memory is watching me maneuver the boat under power in reverse throughout Cane Garden Bay -- after that I'll never be nervous backing out of a dock again. While we didn't go to the Baths or to Jost, we did sail to Anegada and back. While we have no experience with the other schools, we had such a good experience we're planning on going back to take the offshore class through Swain as well.