SailNet Community - View Single Post - My learn to sail experience!
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2008
*starboard*

merlin2375 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Learning starts with feeling the wind on your face and the tiller in your hand. Learning never ends; and that my friends is the joy of sailing.
I couldn't agree more with this statement. Thanks for posting the additions. I often find myself asking maintenance questions and poking around when I'm crewing just to get an idea of what owner's are dealing with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
I read a couple of books, bought a small, cheap boat and taught myself. I then crewed on bigger boats racing, read lot's more books and bought a big boat. Reading and hands on have always worked for me. Nice post by the OP BTW.
Thanks Charlie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockValue View Post
Thanks, this is a really helpfull post to me. I'm just at the point where I'm questioning my options on how to learn. Sailing club? buy a cheap boat? etc.
Luckily I work at a library, and share a cubicle with a circumnavigator. So I have some book learning, and lots of great inspirational stories. But I still need to get my feet wet
Glad the post helped. Get those feet wet! Get out there and find a way on the water

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
Excellent post, Merlin, I hope it helps anyone else out there who is contemplating learning to sail.
Thanks nolatom! I also agree with you on the reading, that's a great point. In fact, the difference between a tack and gybe (something now taken for granted) didn't really make sense to me until I had sailed a few times!