SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sometimes Practical Sailor is NOT So Practical..?
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Hal,
In THIS case they were, IMHO, being practical - it was not cost or functionally practical to rewire an entire boat simply because it was not wired with tinned wire. - Workman ship was good and the connections were anchor crimps with heat sealed ends.
I agree 100% BUT they titled the article "Tinned Wire Myth Busted" and then directed the answer more generally than to HIS particular situation.

Quote:
The jacket of your wire is perhaps not the only issue, based on it's location it was routinely submerged and therefore should have been a better grade and tinned, I also doubt the ends were sealed.
The jacket of my wire was NEVER EVER submerged and that area is BONE dry except for oxygen and humidity. The bare copper oxidized because the JACKET or INSULATION failed to protect the bare copper from oxygen and humidity or moisture. This wire did NOT oxidize from bare exposed ends as this was a very tightly taped twisted wire & soldered connection (poorly and dangerously executed and why it failed to begin with). The wire under the electrical tape, at the ends, actually looked better than the wire under jacket.

Quote:
My 86 Hunter 31 did not use tinned wires and not one had a corrosion problem at 20 years old. I know because I checked the heck out of it - mind you not one was heat shrink sealed either - not even the bilge pump wiring.
I believe that! The factory wiring, not the DIY, on my CS is bare copper duplex jacketed and is also nice clean pink copper. The jacket on this factory wiring, was, and is a top quality bare copper though some of it, where the gauge was correct, now has heat shrink connectors.

Quote:
Sealed, good jacketed, normal wires that don't see water intrusion are absolutely fine and good for 20 years - to me that is practical. At 20 years one expects to upgrade/replace things on a boat.

Again, I agree "GOOD JACKED WIRE" will be fine this however is NOT what PS stated they applied this "good jacked theory" to ALL bare copper wire which is why I have issue because as I stated all wire is not equal quality and they lead the reader to believe otherwise..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 05-30-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook