SailNet Community - View Single Post - I'm a new member from New Rochelle New York
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2008

roy1948 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to roy1948
Smile I'm a new member from New Rochelle New York

Hello, I stumbled on this site after a web search and am enjoying it. I'm a new sailor, I'm 59, just finished the basic keelboat course and am finishing up the navigation course. I'll be taking the first coastal cruising course in a week and then I'll sign up for the coastal passage class. I'm really enjoying this, haven't been this excited about anything in years. Learned to scuba dive when I was 52 so sailing should complement that very nicely. Bought a used boat on ebay a week ago, a 1971 Hughes 29.5 foot sloop by Sparkman and Stephens, with a Universal Atomic 4 FWC engine.

It needs a bit of preparation work, but hopefully by the end of June, I'll sail her home from Baltimore to the Long Island Sound. I'm looking forward to the summer weekends when I plan to take weekend trips along the Connecticut coast. Everyone I've met so far in the "sailing community" has been friendly and encouraging. My wife is not as excited about sailing, but with the addition of a roller furler on the headsail, I hope to make the sailing experience a bit easier on her.

I look forward to hearing from you, especially if you can recommend good sailing destinations in the Long Island Sound area or even to hear about your coastal passages up and down the east coast, I hope to increase my experience enough to be able to do that as soon as possible. I hope my little 29.5 foot boat is large enough. It has a rather heavy displacement of 8,600 pounds so hopefully it will be stable in the water and I calculated the capsize index using the cube root formula, cube root of displacement divided by 64 with the beam as the numerator (from the Annapolis sailboat manual and it's less than 1.8, so it sounds safe enough. Hope to meet you out on the water soon.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook