SailNet Community - View Single Post - Flying a spinnaker single-handed
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2003

Stede is on a distinguished road
Flying a spinnaker single-handed

Sailmc,and Jeff_H,

Thanks for your comments.Sailmc,I know what you mean about a straight line not always being the fastest path.Running has never been one of my favorite points of sail, but sometimes I find it pretty beneficial.My hat''s off to you for single handling your 43 footer with an assy.Jeff_H, your comments are very beneficial to me as well.I''ve not had the opportunity to play around with setting my assymetrical single handed yet.I like using the sail,but I keep my boat most of the time on a lake.While the lake is fairly large,it really doesn''t provide the room to make it worth while for flying what I consider my "racing chute." I''ve made a copy of how you single-hand your spinnaker with a pole,and will experiment with mine on my next offshore trip.One point I have to some what disagree with you on is use of a chute,and the "tacker." I''ve not experienced the problems you mentioned, but then again I haven''t used mine that much.Maybe with continued use,I''ll discover some of the weaknesses that you''ve mentioned.Yesterday though,I thought it was great that I was on a fast reach using the cruising spinnaker, and was then able drop the sail,snuff it in the sock,and head back up under full sail again within about 5 mins. So far I really like using the chute and tacker.My boat does have an autopilot with an remote that I can use at the bow that also helps keeps things very managable.Anyway, as they say,"there''s more than one way to skin a cat." That''s probably not a good politically correct saying to use anymore,and I don''t know why anyone would want to skin a cat in the first place,but you know what I mean ;^)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook