SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fouled halyards... #@&* Help!
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2008

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
Fouled halyards... #@&* Help!

Had a beautiful first sail of the season last weekend -- great to be back in, boat looks great (thanks for the advice, Halakai) and my new #1 is fantastic. Completely uneventful until the next day when I tried to go out again and found my main halyard jammed -- wouldn't budge up or down and couldn't shake it loose. Tried again after work on Friday -- even removed the topping lift so I could really shake it around some -- figuring it had somehow jumped the sheave, but no luck

I resigned myself that this will be the reason for my maiden trip aloft and ordered a MastMate for the occasion, before borrowing one from another member at my club. The MastMate requires a halyard to pull the ladder up the sail track, so my plan was to drop my RF genny and use the jib halyard, except.... my jib halyard was similarly fouled -- no wrap, just stuck. Still have my spinnaker halyard and am going to take a look tomorrow, but I am completely clueless as to what may be going on. The fact that BOTH are stuck, I feel reduces the likelihood that it's going to be a simple fix. My halyards (wire/rope) are internal.

I'm wondering if they might have somehow become twisted around each other inside the mast -- one idea I'm going to try is feeding them into the mast (not too much) at the mast exit to give them a little play internally and hopefully untwist them, if that is the case. A local marina (Brewers Glen Cove) thinks they'll be able to look at it this week, but I'm a little impatient and was hoping to race next weekend.

Anyone encounter this sort of thing before? Appreciate any and all insight, suggestions, etc.

More than a little frustrated...
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook