SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bottom Repairs
Thread: Bottom Repairs
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2008

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Post Some tips...

The spring after we purchased our boat, there was a lot of paint build up and was flaking off, etc. So I had the bottom blasted only to find these... Mostly little blisters, not deep, with the exception of about 10 that I ground out.

Here I am sanding ALL the remaining bottom paint off...wear proper safety protection!!!

Still going...all day long...

After sanding down to white gelcoat, I washed it about once a week for about 4 weeks to remove bad stuff, acids, reisdues, etc. then let it dry for another 6 weeks or so

Then I started to fill and fair the bottom. I used West System with filler which has the brown color you see below. I also tried a vinylester product (forgetting the name at the moment) which you see in blue.

Remember...epoxy over the vinylester okay, but not the other way around

more filling & fairing...

Finally...the barrier coat application (gray)...starting to see progress, I put 5 coats on the hull with 3 more or 8 total on the bottom and forward part of the keel & rudder...

Before the last coat of barrier coat cured, about 3 hours in 90 degree Maryland weather, I applied the first coat of bottom paint. Doing this should help form a good bond between the two. I used an ablative paint in black, of which I applied two coats.

Here I start to apply the third bottom paint coat, but in blue, so I can see when its time to re-coat...

Finally done painting...yea right...

Here you can see where I removed the PO's try at a boot strip, I just took the bottom paint up another 1 1/2"...

Finally this spring I painted a new boot stripe... I need to do some repairs to the stripe due to the sling when we splashed her but I'm pretty happy overall.

Its been three years now since I have barrier coated the bottom, leaving the boat in year round. This spring there were no signs of blistering.

Total cost to blast, sand (ended up renting a sander from the yard), fillers, barrier coat and three coats of paint, if I remember correctly was just over $2000.00 and about 60 hours of time give or take.

Good luck, theres lot here that you can search for on the topic...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 04-01-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook