SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help me find my future boat!
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2008

Leland is on a distinguished road
Talking Help me find my future boat!

I am looking for a boat to buy a few years down the road. I figured why not get all you knowledgeable people to help. I plan on doing some extensive cruising once I get the chance and I am trying to get a good idea of what boat is a decent choice. In the meantime I am still learning on my oday 23 and looking to crew to get more and more experience.

Lets see...size. I am looking for something in the 35 to 40 foot range. From what I can tell I think anything bigger is to much boat for me to maintain and handle. Looking at a crew of around 4 people.

rig/performance....sloop. I think that while a ketch or similar may be easier to handle, the price of maintenance/upkeep would be a little more than I want. Suggestions are wanted and I love the look of a dual masted vessel so if you can convince me go ahead. I need the vessel to be blue water capable but not ridiculous. I don't plan on sailing in the perfect storm and with the weather forecasts of today a lot more boats appeal to me. I guess a beefier cruiser race/ lighter cruiser. I want to do some island hopping but understand that I can be restricted by deeper draft.

price....I plan on spending around 70,000 give or take altogether. I realize that I will probably have to do some upgrades/restoration as it is inevitable on an old boat unless the previous owner was awesome and had my exact thoughts as to what I want. So what I am trying to say is I am ok with buying a boat that needs some work. I don't want to deal with having to fix the structural integrity but I want to put some elbow grease into it in order to learn about the boat and make it that much more desirable for me. Cheaper is always nice though.

Layout/Style....I love rich wood interiors and that old ship like appearance. Flush deck is a real turnoff. I am not trying to beat any world records. That is my preference anyways. I love an aft cabin. I haven't made up my mind on aft **** pit or center cockpit. Advice on both would be great.

With all this said I am open to any and all suggestions. I have recently been looking at cape dory's but they have that quarter berth. Let me know what you all think!