SailNet Community - View Single Post - forestay extension
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2008

papasailor is on a distinguished road
not an option

The eye jaw toggle extender will not work. It raises the bottom housing of the furling too high from the tang. Even under tension, it makes the furling gear wobbly.

I am still looking for solutions to extending the forstay. I could use the eye jaw at the top, but I don't have access to a gin pole or a light enough plus strong enough volenteer to go up in the bosun's chair. The weight of the forstay and furling extrusion is heavy just by itself. (A halyard would act as a temp jib)

Taking the pin out of the mast head, holding the forestay with one hand, using another hand to put on the eye jaw, while growing yet another hand to insert pin, cotter pin finally pulling the whole thing up to align with the mast head.

the real solution is of course a new, longer forestay but that involves taking the forstay and extrusion down, puttin in new wire and then getting it back up. All the same obstacles exist as with adding the eye at top.

And finally, I am trying to do all of this on a limited budget. As an not too good alternative, I could race with my mast raked forward and not expect too much performance or pointing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook