SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sometimes Practical Sailor is NOT So Practical..?
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2008

xtatico1404 is on a distinguished road
In all fairness, I have not read the article yet. I certanly agree that tinned wire is the way to go, 100%. No matter what I am re-wiring, I use tinned wire. However, for "practial purposes", there is a lot of non tinned wire but I am not going to go and rip it off. I monitor it as best as I can. Granted, I can only monitor the ends of the cable, but it usually the corrosion starts on the ends of the cable, so I have a somewhat good feel of what is going on and it is a risk and I am willing to take. This is the key point, the terminals & splices (if you have them).....if they are sealed good enough, then they should last a long time, but not all average joe's make a good enough job to seal them.

Also, the insulation of the cable says a lot. If it is degrading, then it is bad quality cable and needs to be replaced. The cable on Hal's pics is LOW quality cable and has to go for sure, no matter if it is showing corrosion or not.

Hal I agree with your rant about tinned being far superior 100%. I might cut some slack to PS from the practical point of view.....remember that I have not read the article. If I have non-tinned wire, and there are no signs of corrosion on it, I leave it along and I guess it is a risk that pretty much all of us take at one point or another.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook