SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sometimes Practical Sailor is NOT So Practical..?
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by brak View Post
The ready heat shrink image in your post has incorrect link (but I loaded it and it looks good).

I understand the technique but they take too much work So I leave them for where I actually have to use them. In most places they are installed on terminals which go onto the open terminal block anyway, so there isn't much point in sealing. I do places that are exposed to moisture, propane locker of course etc.
If you are using tinned wire it's not AS BIG of a deal but, open terminal block or not, a heat shrink connector keeps air bound moisture or humidity (75% on my boat the other day BTW) from creeping into the wire ends.

All my terminal block crimps are heat shrunk then then the entire terminal block is sprayed with Boeshield. They will still look just as good in ten years doing this.

As for takes to long? It takes me about 45 seconds per termination to crimp and heat shrink?? Not much for patience huh?

This is an interesting photo of a WIRE NUT connection I found hidden on my boat! It was un-tinned wire joined to tinned wire. Notice the difference between the un-tinned and tinned. It speaks for its self!

Here's why you must ALWAYS use the proper wire gauge! The brown lamp cord was 18 ga and wired to a pump. Note the melting of the jacket due to over heating!!

If you are using heat shrink connectors these are the crimpers you'll want to use. This pair is distributed by Ancor Products and are called the "Single Crimp Ratchet Tool" Part No. 702010. I paid about $55.00 for this crimper at Hamilton Marine in Portland, Maine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 06-03-2008 at 09:37 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook