SailNet Community - View Single Post - Harness/Tether Q&A...
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
4) if you go overboard wearing the harness, does the boat just drag you, do you pull yourself back up? What to do? Can you unclip yourself with tension on it?
ISAF approved tethers have one or two clips that are dual-action, like the Gibb or Wichard clips, that will not release accidentally. These clips are for the boat side of the tether. The body side of the tether is a snap shackle. This is so that you can release the tether under load... like if the boat capsizes. DO NOT BUY a tether that does not have dual-action clips for the boat side and a snap shackle at the harness side.
Anything over say around 4 knots or so and your not going to pull yourself back on board. That is why the dog is saying to get a tether that you can release under load. Correct me if I'm wrong, but your thether should be short enough to keep you from falling overboard in the first place. If you fall, you want to remain on board. Its a debate that has been going on for years.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook