SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sometimes Practical Sailor is NOT So Practical..?
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by brak View Post
Interesting photo The tool I use is actually quite expensive
I don't use the dimple part for insulated/heat shrink fittings though, rather (as the tool itself suggests) I use the flat part (looks like two sections of a circle, deeper into the tool). As far as size goes, tool is sized for wire 16 and up - so it isn't universal but I really don't have many smaller fittings on the boat, and I do own a standard (also non-dimple) crimper for those.

I haven't cut the fittings though it may be interesting to see, but I do know that they are crimped flat. I might sacrifice one this weekend to see what it looks like inside.
I guess you and I have a different idea of what "expensive" is in terms of tools.

The Klein T1715 is a decent crimper designed to work properly with each size and color coded crimp and it sells for $99.00 to $125.99. You can buy crimpers that run into the $300.00 to $500.00 range..

Klein T1715 Crimpers 99.95-$125.99

(photo courtesy of Klein Tools Inc.)

Your Klein Journeyman series crimper, with a quick Google search, turned up prices from about $26.00 to $35.00 is not that expensive! I feel my $55.00 crimpers from Ancor (very similar to the Klein T1715's) were a steal!

I gues if you are comparing your crimpers to a $3.98 crimp, strip and cut tool from Wal*Mart, that works about as well for crimping wire as a set of toe nail clippers, than yeah I guess they were expensive..??

Again, one size does not fit all crimps well no matter what Klein says. If it did they would have no need to make crimpers costing much more money and with more expensive and better machined dies...

With this larger photo I can actually see the area you use to crimp and while preferable to the dimple it's still a one sizes fits all approach to the Yellow, Blue and Red crimp terminals.
(photo courtesy of Klein Tools Inc.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook