SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailor's in the hands of an angry ocean.
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Thanks Cam. Yes, going with the waves seems to be the way to go in terms of comfort. This being my first real blue water passage I was still uncomfortable at first. I am sure it is worse beating into the (mild 3 - 6') waves we had.
Turtle Cove was great once you get past the reef and coral formations. I had been to Provo before but only to the 'Beaches resort'. It is much more fun getting around by boat than by air even if it takes a lot longer if the weather co-operates, and we were pretty lucky that way. I suppose it depends on the time of year you were heading south down to the islands but the 'trades' are generally out of the northeast down there. Provo ain't a bad stop over point though, IMHO.
I know what you mean about going the other way though as we actually lost our dinghy at one point because the tow line chafed and I was in the cockpit and noticed it quickly. After we headed back into the waves we moistened some of the forward ports and bunks while rescuing the inflatable off of N. Caicos. If it had been ten minutes later we might not have ever found it.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook