SailNet Community - View Single Post - Portable Generator vs Genset
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008

tjaldur is on a distinguished road
I'll be glad to supply details. Now one challenge applies two both generators. They were inexpensive. That means that one cannot expect them two be stable, that is deliver a proper 50HZ (60Hz) sinus alternate current. If one chooses an inexpensive generator one must on the other hand have a charger that accepts varying tension (volt) output and a modified sinus curve. And one need a pure sinus-curve inverter that delivers pure sinus wave current to delicate application like computer, TV etc.

One other challenge is that this diesel-generator is quite noisy. So I had do some work two reduce the noise. That is put on suspenders, like the ones one is using on an engine, and I had to improvise a muffler. The dimensions of the tube of the exhaust terminal of the generator do not fit with any standard dimension for tubes, so I had to join an aluminium exhaust-tube into the inside of the diesel-exhaust-tube and fasten it together by cutting open a beer-can as a sheet and roll it around the joint and fasten it with tube clamps. (Like we did in the -60ties with cars when a hole appeared in the exhaust outlet )

Hope this is illustrating:

The price was equivalent to about $ 1500. It came with an electric starter by the way, which is very good for me. That is recommended. A recoil starter on a diesel engine may be a challenge one wants to pass.

The weight is about 70 kg. (150 lbs), so it is wise to make a final decision of where one wants to place it. It really is a little monster to lug about. I have placed it on the aft deck.

Rated frequency (Hz)50 & 60
Rated voltage (V) 110, 220, 230, 110/220, 120/240
Rated current (A) 12.2 13.8/27.5
Rated output power (KW)2.8K(50HZ),3.0KW
Peak output Power(KW) 3.0KW(50HZ),3.3KW(60HZ)
Rated rotation speed (rpm)3000 3600
DC output 12V8.3A
Power factor (cosf) 1.0/0.8
Phase number Single phase
Noise level [dB(A)@7m] 70-74
Overall dimension (L◊M◊H)[mm(in)]: 695◊475◊590 (27.36◊18.70◊23.23)
Dry weight [kg(lbs.)] : 65(143)
Structure type : Open-frame type
Coupling mode :Rigid couping by royor drive shalf
Engine type :Single cylinder,4-stroke,air-cooled,
direct injection,diesel engine
Displacemen [ml] 296
Compression ratio 20:1
Engine Rated power [KW(Hp)/rpm]: 2.8/3000 3.3/3600
Starting system CL:recoil starter E:electric starter
Rotation dircetion (View from flywheel) :Clockwise
Fule : 0#(summer)-10#(winter) light diesel oil: SAE10W30 (above CC grade)
Carton dimension:680*455*545mm
N.W/G.W:70/73KG

Hope this answers your questions?