SailNet Community - View Single Post - Experience just kinda sneaks up on you
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Great story ja, I enjoyed it and could relate.
Quote:
...it's the people aboard and their attitude and experience that determine whether most situations are seen as dangerous or as opportunities.
How very true Val. I always pushed the envelope when solo-sailing my Nauticat, but needed to constrain myself when my wife was aboard - which was most of the time. But every now and then, I had a fearless sailing guest who shared my enthusiasm.

Ironically, one of the best sails I had with that boat, was with the new owner during his maiden sail, while taking the helm for the first time. From the time we left the marina channel into open water, to just before returning, we were close and beam reaching in 18-20+ knot winds. He kept the rails constantly wet and was quite obviously, immensely thrilled with the boat and her responsiveness.

It was a joyful day - selling my boat at a good price, but this joy was overshadowed by the bittersweet sense of loss, like the separation of two lovers.