SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are boat owners/sailors overly anal?
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2008
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
When they are on my boat, they coil lines the way that I want them coiled. Stow things the way I want them stowed. Period. Is that anal, I really don't care.

I think that Billyruffin hit it on the head. You do it your way on your boat, and ASK them how they want it done on theirs. I have had people decide how they wanted to coil and loop lines and had to make an extra circle before I could use them.

I particularly like getting to the boat after someone has secured your fenders so well to the lifelines that it takes an hour to untie the knot. My way takes seconds and it is not going anywhere.

Where I disagree is that all powerboaters are bad and sailors good. I started, and still am, a powerboater as well as sailor. I secure the powerboat, which is much smaller, the same as I do the sailboat. My tube and water ski lines are coiled so they can be released and not end in tangles. I am the same on the powerboat as on the sailboat. My slipmate is very ship shape with his SeaRay. The other side is horrible with his powerboat, and across the dock the sailboat is the least shipshape of anything in the marina.

So, yes, I probably am anal. But, when the **** hits the fan I know where it is and how it is secured. You all know that there are certain realities in the boating world.

Sailors = Cheap
SeaRay owners=xxx
I have both and I must be anal. Anybody want to venture a guess what I am? Careful, you don't know which of me will respond!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook