SailNet Community - View Single Post - new cetol
Thread: new cetol
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2008
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
The finish can start to lift at edges where water can get beneath the finish; so if you can paint the backside of the wood with a sealing coat or two to prevent water from getting beneath the finish. If it does start to lift you can sand it back and then put some touch up of the base coat; followed by clear. I don't think the lifting is specific to the clear coat; it's just the same as any other finish when it comes to delamination due to water working in.

I am switching over to the Natural Teak. My coaming, hatches, handrails, traveler are done with Light and will stay that way until I decide I want to go through the hard work of sanding them down and re-finishing them. For now they look great (well until the newly finished hatch boards and locker doors go in).

I'm wondering what can be done to prevent the finish from pulling away from the dark grain? Seems that even if wiped down with acetone the finish will not sit flat on the surface after it dries a bit. Any info on how to get the cetol to remain smooth?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook