SailNet Community - View Single Post - A Picture of My New Boat
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2008

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Budget, Features

Hello,

What is your budget for VHF and Chartplotter? What features do you require and want?

You can spend as little as $400, and can also easily spend $2000.

For VHF, on the low end, there are lots and lots of decent 25watt fixed mount basic VHF units for under $100. They are all pretty much the same. If you spend a little more, like $150, you get DSC (do a little research if you don't know what it is). Spend $200 or so and you get a bigger screen and maybe color. I don't know how useful that is, but it is available.

Note that my price estimates are for the base unit only, no antenna or remote mic.

Last year I spend $150 for a Standard Horizon GX1500S, a basic VHF with DSC. I like it because when connected to a GPS it provides dual channel DSC (like most do) and the display will show speed, course, lat / long, etc. I spend another $100 for the remote mic, and it was the best $100 I have spent.

On the chartplotter side, for under $400 you can get a small Lowrance or Humminbird unit with color display and decent charts, some even include a SONAR as well.

For $500 or so you get a bigger screen.

Garmin makes great stuff, but it gets pricey. Same with Raymarine.

Since you are in the market for both VHF and GPS you may want to consider a combo unit like the Standard CPV350 GPS Chartplotter w/ VHF.

Good luck,
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook