SailNet Community - View Single Post - Singlehanding...
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbarnhart View Post
I am still scheming around this a bit. If you can imagine a bow shaped plank (like from a bow and arrow) somehow attached to my stern with notches in it, that would work and it would still leave the bench open. Rip a few thin strips of white oak and glue them together as an arch. Hmmm...

Andy,
I've always been of the mind that if I had an idea that I wanted to try out on my boat. What better place?
In the case of my tiller comb. If it hadn't worked out, the worst I would have been left with is two holes in my aft cabin hatch, (and a whole lot of wasted hacksawing and filing),
Some questioned my decision to add a boom gallows. But it has worked and been an asset, in my opinion, to the boat for as long as it's been there. And that's been well over a decade.

Since I don't have a showroom yacht, but rather a sturdy and somewhat spartan little campin... I mean cruising boat. I don't have to worry too much about leaving a screw hole or two.

But that's just me and the type of boat I have.
If I had a new or fairly new yacht that I had bought from a dealer, and there were still things on board that were under some sort of warranty, ...well then I wouldn't go around drilling too many holes in my transom.

Steve
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook