SailNet Community - View Single Post - Singlehanding...
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbarnhart View Post
Steve,

That is where I am to some degree with my boat with one major wrinkle. I have decided to do a pretty full refurb. I am going to repair all the deck surface cracks, fill and fair all the little dings (there are no major ones) on the deck, sides and bottom and repaint. Before I do this, I am doing some additional fitting out. The N17 is a pretty basic boat. It has a lot going for it if you have to limit yourself to very small boats that can do some short coastal cruising. It's light enough to tow with just about anything, can launch/beach in very shallow water, the mast can easily be stepped by one person and it has good sailing character. Search around and you will see what I mean. But back to it being basic. I am looking at other boats and thinking about things I really wish I had and then deciding if it is something I can do. When I do the the fairing and painting, some things that I have done in wood are going to get a coat of epoxy and paint and look like fiberglass (shhh! ). This might be one of those things...

The first boat that Mrs. Knothead and I sailed was a little West Wight Potter we named "Delta Dwarf". (She says it was 12' I'm thinking 13' but who's counting). We used a trolling motor and would camp out on that boat for the weekends and sail many miles on the San Joaquin river.

We had a great time on that little boat.... wink, wink

I still get the impression sometimes that people with the smallest boats are usually the happiest.

And I would never fault a man for reducing his bright work load.

We must think alike.

Steve
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook