SailNet Community - View Single Post - Recipes anyone?
Thread: Recipes anyone?
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2008

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
I don't have refrigeration on my boat so that cuts down on the ingredients I can use. I am also constantly trying to do more with less in an effort to cut expenses to maximize the kitty, so again that means more simple ingredients that store well. For the past months and even year or more I have been working on recipes that I can make with simple ingredients, simple methods, etc, that taste great and I have a few favorites. Another requirement for me as a single person is that if I open a can I either have to eat what's in it, re-can it (steam canner), or find another way to preserve it until I can use the rest of it, so that too limits what I can do with ingredients. Having said all of that, here is one of my favorites, I eat this VERY OFTEN, I even made it this afternoon for lunch. This meal costs approximately 0.45$us.

Whole wheat pizza slabs

Ingredients
Wheat (kernels/wheat berries is what some people call them)
6oz can of tomato paste
Fresh water
Honey, sugar, or other sweetener
Dried oregano, basil, & garlic (fresh if you have it)
Tools/Equipment
Grain mill
Can opener (I prefer p38)
Bowl (for mixing)
Spoon (for mixing)
Clean flat stone (for oven)
Oven of some kind - dutch oven with campfire coals, real oven, earth oven, etc.
Process
Grind a few handfuls of wheat into flour, as much as you feel like eating plus some extra to keep as leftovers, I prefer a course grind. With the flour in the bowl, open up a small area in the middle to pool some water, then add fresh water and let it soak in pretty well. Don't add too much, too little is better than too much. After it sits a minute or so mix with the spoon until you end up with clumps of dough, then start mixing together with hand and adding dried flour from the bowl until you have a ball of dough. Add small amount of water to whatever flour is left in the bowl and add that dough to your dough ball and continue to squish the ball in your hands making a good dough ball.

Put dough ball aside.

Using same bowl, use can opener to open 6oz can of tomato paste. Wipe spoon clean then use it to take out approximately 1/3rd of the paste. Put the rest of the paste aside, it won't go bad for a day or two if you cover it, and if you need it longer than that you can dry it in the sun until it is dense enough to roll into tomato paste balls which store very well. Mix tomato paste in bowl with an equal amount of water to make a sauce. Mix in a good amount of honey, or other sweetener to make a sweet sauce. Mix in oregano, basil, and garlic to taste. Allowing the sauce to sit for a few hours makes it taste better, but it is great even without the wait.

Take dough ball and divide into equal sized pieces, then squish them out with your fingers into flat circles the size of your hand or less. Put circles on your cooking stone, on aluminum foil, or what have you, and spread sauce out on top. Cook in oven until the sauce is very pasty and the dough firms up or begins to brown, as desired. Strictly speaking it doesn't have to be cooked at all, eating it without cooking is almost as tasty, but cooking it does make it a bit easier to eat. It can also be left in a sunny window to simply dry and be eaten as is without cooking.
I know this sounds a little weird, but believe me this is a meal you can eat every single day and never get tired of it. It also takes about 5 minutes to prepare once you get used to preparing it. It is very versatile, inexpensive, easy to store, even the left overs can be eaten the next day without any special handling. The finished product is something like a pizza except that it has a much more wholesome taste of whole wheat and is very satisfying. This is also a very good camp food so long as the grain is milled before you go out on the trail and you dry your paste before you leave. Honey is my preferred sweetener.

If you don't have tomato paste you can skip the sauce and just tear up your finished dough and dip it in honey, tastes fantastic that way. It's a very versatile basic meal that you can do a lot of variations on. Sounds too simple to be good, I know, but trust me ... it's great. You can also use a combination of oven and drying to make long lasting crackers which are tough and easy to transport and store.

Enjoy.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook