SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sail Hawaii to California
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Hey look, I'm not gonna be of any use to you re sailing from Hawaii to California cos I've never done it but my presumption is that a Cheoy Lee 25 has to be a Vertue. Correct ? If so they are really a sweet little thing. don't know if you know anything about them but they have a very impressive pedigree having been designed by none other than Laurent (Jack) Giles himself. If you don't know who LG is then shame on you. Read up on him. Vertue XXXV, Cardinal Vertue and Ice Bird are all part of my early years of wishful thinking and did some amazing voyages for their time and size while Eric and Susan Hiscock's Wanderer III was (indeed is) a scaled up Vertue of 30' and circumnavigated more than once.

So the point is that presuming she is sound she should be more than capable of sailing from Hawaii to California via Capetown and Panama let alone the boring way you want to go. Soundness being very much the key word there. Any doubts then don't do it, she cannot be a young slip of a thing and age does weary them I'm afraid. (Actually that could be rubbish. According to the CLO site , see below, Vertus were still being built into the 90's, amazing.)

There is a Vertue (an old timber one) moored near our boat and I can just sit and look at her all day. Sweet sweet boat, small but perfectly formed as they say.

Anyway, good luck with it. Hope it all works out. Worst thing than can happen is you sink........well yes thats not good I know but hey.....think of the stories you will be able to tell......oh yes sorry, sunk, probably drowned.......oh well.....

Nah , just kidding.

Cheers

ps - google cheoy lee owners if you havn't already. Great site.

Oh, here, save you the trouble

Cheoy Lee Sailboat Association

Lots of info on Vertues.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook