SailNet Community - View Single Post - Barient winch
Thread: Barient winch
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by anderbra View Post
So this morning I was hoisting my genny (with pendant installed) to go for a sail, when the halyard winch locked. So I disassembled the winch and I found a broken cotter pin jammed in the gear.
I look around and see only one place where it could have been. However, when I placed a new pin, the whinch would not work.
The winch in question is a Barient 18, installed on the mast.
Does anyone has an exploded view of this (or equivalent) winch that shows where a cotter pin should be placed?
Thank you for any help on this issue. BTW, I even forgot I was going sailing.
My guess would be that the force of the pin jamming has either bent something else or thrown something out of whack.

All the old Barient stock of parts was pucrhased by Arco - Australian Winch Company when Barient closed down. Allan Hutton at Arco will be able to email you the necessary docs (if you ask nicely) and if they are still available suppy you with any necessary parts.

Arco have a weird reputation. Sometimes I hear reports that they can take forever to react to a request but my dealings with them have always been super positive.

www.arco-winches.com

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook