SailNet Community - View Single Post - Which way to Honduras?
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2008

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Get or at least read Steve Pavlidis guide...

"The Northwest Caribbean". Steve seems to favor the Windward passage route to Guatemala and Honduras. For what its worth, I agree. I have done the trip from PR, via DR, Haiti, Jamaica, Swan islands to the Bay islands and its a manageable downwind, down current route. I have done the Rio Dulce to Isla Mujeres trip North and its was OK. I would NEVER do it the other way on a sailboat. You are sailing a lee shore and bucking 2kts + Gulf stream until you hit the Belize border. I met one boat that ended on the reef and heard of a number of others. The trip from Florida to Isla can be less that fun as well.

This is one case where the much longer route is preferable. I am frequently amazed why people think that staying close to shore is intrinsically safer that being offshore.

Two other points (not that you asked). You say that you have a cheap boat and then you insured it??. Why not put the insurance money into a slightly better boat OR improved rigging or ground tackle?

Check out riodulcechisme.com, its a Rio board but covers the Bay islands. I would investigate the possibility of sailing as unpaid crew on a larger sailboat and gaining experience that way. I am reasonably sure you could get cheapish accommodation in the Bay islands or even house or boat sit.

Fair Winds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook