SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bought a furler - Install tips?
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sometimesbrilliant View Post
So I have taken the (pricey) plunge and picked up a roller furler for the headsail. I have bought a Schaefer CF-700. While on the topic of shopping... Local marine store (Brewer's in Hamilton): $850 (cdn) West Marine $1289(usd) ouch! I guess it saves to shop local!

Anyhow, I am going to be installing the furler this weekend. I'm studying the install booklet and readying tools and such. In the meantime I thought I'd ask this community for any hints, tips, gotchas and such you have encountered installing a furler?

Dan
Dan, I would agree with the others who have suggested that you read and reread the installation manual.
As well as SD's advice about the headstay. Think about it . You are installing a furling system that should last you quite awhile. You don't want to have to start worrying about your headstay 5 yrs down the road. If it has a few years on it. Replace it. For your boat it won't cost much and you can hold onto the old one for a spare.

The furler you bought is sometimes called a snap-furl. It will go on the wire without cutting off either terminal.
If you take your time and follow the directions... to the letter... you shouldn't have any problems.
Have fun.

Steve
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook