SailNet Community - View Single Post - Which way to Honduras?
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyesailor View Post
I need to go to Honduras this coming winter. I don't have a lot of sailing experience. Cheap boat (30') nothing fancy. Assume safe enough for either route. and YES, I'm insured!
Should I coast cruise all the way or jump to Cuba (I know about the gov. red tape, and have time to go through that) and then to the Bay Islands? Both open water sails would be relatively short and there's no huge hurry.
My daughter will be there for a year starting in the fall and I don't fly so this is the best way visit her.
Any and all comments welcomed. Thanks.

I hope I haven't misunderstood your situation, but if I understand this correctly,....you have a few months to plan a trip to Honduras in order to visit your daughter. You don't have much money and you don't have a boat. You don't want to fly and you don't have a lot of sailing experience.

were I in your situation, I think I would first try crewing on a boat going in that direction. even if I had to foot some of the bill to prove myself.
Or I would seek passage on a ship.
I don't think that the best option is buying a boat and heading off on a trip like that alone.
But perhaps you have someone experienced to accompany you. I don't know.
In any event, try to gain some experience before making the decision.

Steve
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook