SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bought a furler - Install tips?
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sometimesbrilliant View Post
Ok, I'm green. Why replace the forestay? It's a metal cable?

Unless it's a saltwater then (I'm sailing on the Great Lakes, so not an issue) I can kinda see the point.

Dan
Salt/fresh is only part of the problem and yes stays in fresh water will last longer but should still be inspected annually beyond 10 years and replaced between 15 & 20 years. In salt water I replace every 10 regardless of visible condition of the fittings or wire.

The big "BUT" is that you are in Ontario where it gets very cold and freezes in the winter. In the summer moisture can travel down the stay and find it's way into the lower swage fitting. Over the years this constant expansion and freezing of any moisture in the lower swage can cause it to develop hairline cracks fail.

Also, many times the foil will not fit over the head stay with the swaged fittings in place, not sure about the Schaefer. If it won't you'll need to use a mechanical fitting like a Sta-Loc and install it after the foil is in place..

This is a photo of the Norseman mechanical fitting I used on my Harken furler that I installed last spring..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 06-10-2008 at 08:21 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook