SailNet Community - View Single Post - Flying a spinnaker singlehanded
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2003

jbr is on a distinguished road
Flying a spinnaker singlehanded

I sail a 17'' planing dinghy primarily singlehandedly and recently started getting experience flying a spinnaker in 5-10 kts. So far I''ve had reasonably good success but would appreciate input on a couple of issues: 1) the rigging diagram shows the "lazy" spinnaker sheet run between the tack line and the furled jib; when jibing, it''s fairly tricky to pull the leach across this narrow slot without wrapping on the tack and/or jib. Alternative is to run it in front of the tack line but downside is possiblilty of losing the lazy sheet beneath the boat... Anybody have experience/advice here? 2) the spinnaker is designed to be used with a "continuous" sheet; so far it''s worked fairly well but I can see the potential for line wraps/snags putting you in at risk for capsize. I''ve heard of other''s who have pitchpoled larger boats with a continuous jib sheet which snagged. Alternative is to cut the jib sheet and install cleats so you could more readily blow the spinnaker if in trouble. Any experience and/or input would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook