SailNet Community - View Single Post - Freshwater vs Saltwater boat; ASA courses
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2003

NJW3 is on a distinguished road
Freshwater vs Saltwater boat; ASA courses

Jeff,

Thanks for responding. I hadn''t thought of the more frequent upgrade/replacement factor in saltwater boats. I would actually prefer to find one already located in the Gulf or Atlantic seaboard anyway, just to eliminate the hassle of moving it. And my figure for transport costs came from anecdotal evidence only. I haven''t gotten any quotes. I''m glad to know it would be less costly if I do stumble upon a real deal on a lake somewhere.

By the way, reading your thoughts in other messages on VCG and hull shapes has changed my thinking somewhat. When surfing the ads I''ve started paying more attention to the ballast/displacement relationship, and can also now see how longer, narrower boats for a given displacement would be advantageous.

I think I''m beginning to understand this stuff a little better, but I''m mainly finding out how little I actually know. Sailboat knowledge seems like an inverted pyramid -- the more I learn, the more new questions I have. I guess at some point I''ll have to use the NIKE philosophy and just do it.

Speaking of new questions, a few more occur to me:

1. As to the sailing courses, is there any substantive difference between ASA and US Sailing schools?

2. Would you advise using a buyer''s broker when I begin seriously shopping in another month or so? I''ve heard both sides of the argument.

3. How do I find out for sure if a boat I''m looking at has been in charter service? I''m not saying I wouldn''t buy one that had been -- just that I would want to look at it differently than one owned by a knowledgeable private owner for a reasonable period.

4. West coast prices (especially Calif) seem to be lower for comparable boats. Is this just a function of supply/demand for used boats there or is the Pacific environment tougher on boats for some reason?

5. Finally, do you have an opinion of 70''s -80''s vintage Pearsons? A friend said some are sturdy enough for blue water and suggested I look at them, but their lower values make me think there is a reason they''re priced that way.

Thanks again for your generous help, Jeff. I didn''t intend this to be such a lengthy follow-up.

Jay
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook