SailNet Community - View Single Post - ICW in Texas
Thread: ICW in Texas
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008
Roadkillibus Texanis

retclt will become famous soon enough retclt will become famous soon enough
I'd sail outside for sure if the weather is good and you have enough crew for watches. It's actually kind of cool out there at night. You are always in sight of lit rigs. About 6 or 7 miles out is good. Most of the small stuff I've seen is within a mile of shore and closer to Galveston. I have personally never heard of anyone running into anything. If you do pop in to take the Ditch mid trip be very careful of the depth going in to and around the Port Oconner area. Stay centered and don't take short cuts across channel bends and corners.

The Ditch from Port O to Galveston is very nice. Just be nice to the lady that runs the Colorado River Lock . . . she can be short tempered at times. Oh . . . and call ahead to make sure the locks are open.

Go outside . . . it's a great trip!!!

Cams right about the depths. You're fine once you're in the ditch. They maintain it pretty well for the commercial traffic. It's just dicey getting in and out of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob T

"I cannot not sail" - E. B. White

Last edited by retclt; 06-10-2008 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Added last paragraph due to late entering . . .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook