SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Medical courses for offshore cruising

2K views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
My wife and I are buying a boat and plan to retire and take off on an extended cruise in two years. Before taking off, we want to take a good course to prepare us to deal with medical emergencies. I think that I have seen ads for "frontier medicine" courses and this appears to be what we are looking for. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bruce

#2 ·
There are a number of seminars and course for cruisers about medicine, as well as companies that sell offshore first aid kits.

Suggest you browse the web to see what''s out there...I did a quickie search and here''s an example (though it''s apparently already taken place, there will surely be others):

http://www.occsailing.com/pages/classes/sem_med_at_sea.html

Also, one of my booklets (probably early next year publication) will focus specifically on cruising medical issues...you can sign up to be notified if you want to know when it''s available!

Trish Lambert
www.takehersailing.com

#3 ·
As a whitewater canoeing guide and instructor, I was required to take a Wilderness Advanced First Aid course every two years to maintain my certification with the National Parks Service. It is an excellent course based on wilderness protocols, which are very different from protocols that assume an EMS arrival within 5-10 minutes. If you''re interested contact:

Wilderness Medical Associates
189 Dudley Rd.
Bryant Pond ME 04219
888-WILD-MED
www.wildmed.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.