SailNet Community - View Single Post - Which way to Honduras?
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2008
C&C 34

MysticGringo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to MysticGringo Send a message via AIM to MysticGringo Send a message via Yahoo to MysticGringo Send a message via Skype™ to MysticGringo
Cam... thats a good point, and a strong example. One I can not honestly say doesn't affect me. I do not know nearly enough information about that tragedy in order to understand why it happened. I will be checking out more about it though to be better informed.

I do alot of climbing, and in every issue of Rock and Ice magazine, they mourn the loss of a climber somewhere in the world. There are alot of reasons why those sorts of things happen, and it has lead to alot of advances in gear and technique. These tragedies have not deterred me, nor others from climbing.

To be honest, and not to trivialize anybodies death, I have told my family and friends that if I would much rather die climbing, sailing, traveling, diving... than while sitting in my cube. Its not that I don't take it serious, I take it extremely serious. People are much more apt to call it a tragedy when someone dies sailing/climbing/exploring... whatever, than if someone dies while in their cube, without having ever done those things.

I honestly am not trying to trivialize, or take over the topic, and I feel its gotten a little off-topic, sorry for that.

I tuned into this topic to hear people's advice on routes, places to stop, awesome side trips, and good resources to find more information, and instead got a little caught up in the "reality mongering" which was more discouraging than encouraging. Sorry if I helped divert this topic from the original intention, and into a discussion for another topic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook