SailNet Community - View Single Post - Chainplates, Bulkheads, and Woodwork
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2008
supernoob

82sabre is on a distinguished road
I'm sure there is rot in the decking as well, I have a book that covers how to do all the proper repair work. I plan on clearing out the coring around the chainplate and epoxying in there. VooDoo that is most likely the exact problem is water coming through the decking where the chainplate comes through.

Semi Jim-The previous owner has a recent survey that was done on the boat, so he is going to be handing that over as well. As of right now the plan is to just replace the entire Bulkhead, being in Florida we experience A LOT of rain so chances are the rot is extensive if there is a leak, which is most certainly the case. I am fairly certain that whatever money is sunk into this boat will be worth it since it was in fact free. It still has rigging, a recently swapped Yanmar diesel, a tender with a 6 horse outboard, all the electricals in the boat still work, she has just been sitting for a while. That and the price of the learning experience will make up for it. Being 22 years old this is stuff I can take with me for the rest of my life that will be incredibly valuable if I plan on spending a lot of time on the water.

Thanks again for all the input, once the project gets under way it will be heavily documented, so get ready for some serious carnage

Last edited by 82sabre; 06-12-2008 at 11:03 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook