SailNet Community - View Single Post - Topping lift vs. boom kicker
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcase10 View Post
What do you think? I have a catalina 27 and do not have a topping lift or boom kicker but want one to keep the boom out of the cockpit. I also do not have a vang, but will add one when I put the other. I have a standard rig and mid boom sheeting. Thanks.
Tcase10,
A boom topping lift is very handy. I am surprised that you don't have one already. Could it have been lost somewhere in the past? I am assuming that you have a pennant attached to the backstay that you are currently using to hold the boom up. Right?
If you are able to get yourself up the mast, this is a job that you can certainly handle yourself.
If you have a masthead sheave open, then you can use that for a running topping lift.
If you want a wire with a block at the lower end then you just need to make up a piece of 1/8" vinyl coated wire with thimbles at each end, long enough to reach a couple feet short of where your boom normally rides and attach it at the top with a shackle.
You can also shackle on a block at the masthead and run a line through that.
Lots of options.
You can decide later about a boom kicker.

Steve
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook