SailNet Community - View Single Post - Stiff Shifter Yanmar 4JH2E volvo penta shifter/throttle
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by trantor12020 View Post
adam, perhaps you could disconnect the shifter cables from the lever and check whether the stiffness is at the lever gear mechanism or the cable/s.
I agree, and suspect it's the cable. If it is, it's probably a Teleflex Morse cable. if it is, don't waste your time trying to lube it. Replace the cable. It has been explained to me that these cables seize up because moisture penetrates the outer casing and the cable starts to rust. Eventually, they seize up completely!

Replace both your throttle and shifter cables at the same time. It's not much more additional work to do 'em both.

Before you pull the old cables, count and record the number of threads exposed at each end. This will make it easy for you duplicate the setup of the new cables and save you lots of monkeying around.

Also, inspect the old cables carefully. You're likely to find a place where the outer casing was rubbed away, which is probably the root cause of you problem. You should correct that.

The cables cost somewhere around $30 - $50. Beats pulling the transmission!

Good Luck!

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown

Last edited by djodenda; 06-16-2008 at 10:04 AM. Reason: More details added
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook