SailNet Community - View Single Post - Harken MK-IV Furler - What I like...
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2008
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
We've got a Harken Mk IV and it seems to "slip". We have two reef marks on our genoa. We'll reef to the second reef, and after a couple of hours it will "slip" to the first reef. Here's what our rigger said when I asked him to look into it:

The new Harken furlers have a really nice independent tack swivel- the extrusions rotate with the drum, but the tack is free to spin until the luff 'catches up' with it. I think when furling, the sail is rolling up ok and leaving the tack behind (as it should) to flatten the sail during reefing. But, later on with more wind, the sail rolls tighter and tighter giving the result of more turns needing to be added. It would appear that it is slipping, but it is really just getting a tighter roll on the extrusions. Does this make sense?

In short, it is working fine but you may need to pre-roll a few more turns than you think necessary to accomodate this tightening.

Personally, I don't like the fact that my sail slips in heavy wind.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook