SailNet Community - View Single Post - wind generator
Thread: wind generator
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2003

mcain is on a distinguished road
wind generator

In high winds, each unit has its own method of handling the additional power. Some recommend you secure the unit (i.e. tie up the blades) for wind above 35 kts--OK when you are on board, not good if you have left and a thunderstorm comes up. Some units have actually run through very high winds--gales and near-hurricanes. Others have some kind of brake. On one unit, I believe the Air X, the blades "stall" (meant in a aerodynamic sense) thereby creating a very loud and obnoxious sound. One element I do like, that some units have, is an "off switch" that applies an electrical brake to the unit and stops the blades. It always seems a little chancy to turn the unit around and stop the blades with the wind. You pays your money and takes your choice.......

For mounting, some recommend a layer of heavy rubber under the mount to dampen noise and vibration, and rubber under the side-support mounts where they attach to the pole. Mine is right above our heads over the aft cabin and you can hear it, but its not too bad, and like anything else, you soon get used to it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook