SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crowhurst Documentary
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
Chichestsire (spelling?) was the first to circumnavigate without stopping then came the First Race with Nine entries.
In this first race that Don Crowhurst entered and ended up in a downward spiral that ended his life. I won't say what caused this, mainly because I wasn't there on the boat with him and it would be conjecture.
But I did enjoy the documentry and wouldn't mind going for it myself.
Actually it was (Sir) Robin Knox-Johnston. His book "A World Of My Own" is a really good read if you are interested in the background to all this.

The guy was (and still is) pretty amazing - he gets a nothing-special boat built in India and then sails it to England, hears about the race, can't afford a new boat properly fitted out so he enters with what he has - and then only just makes it.

The picture of him sitting on the dock on a year's worth of provisions and grinning from ear to ear is just priceless.