SailNet Community - View Single Post - wind generator
Thread: wind generator
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2003

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
wind generator

A couple of additions:

Some wind gens have more than one way to eliminate overspeeding. The Air-X will shunt its output back into the stator and stall the wind gen provided a switch is installed for this purpose. The blades also begin to stall out as wind speed accelerates but that''s to keep the amps being generated low enough not to damage things (e.g. when ashore and the switch is not left thrown).

Re: the KISS, keep in mind it''s built by Trini teens down in Chaguaramas. There''s been a lot of griping over the years about the build quality...tho'' it''s hard to know what to do with this info since obviously this isn''t an issue for every single unit sold.

I couldn''t agree more with the comment about customer service. When our earlier model AirMarine burned out (the overload switch was overcome by extremely high winds in a convective blow in the Caribbean), it was a joy to have an 800# to call, a tech who could answer my questions, an inexpensive electronic upgrade offered, and the whole thing taken care of in a week - from the Caribbean (Puerto Rico, actually). I think the larger AeroGen units look very nice...but wonder what kind of customer service a U.S. customer can expect.

Jack
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook