SailNet Community - View Single Post - Confused about overhangs...
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2003

Silmaril is on a distinguished road
Confused about overhangs...

To highlight the excellent description of the forces affecting a boats motion that Jeff has taken the time to post... (Hmmm I wonder if he has these saved up and just cuts and pastes them where necessary...)

When things get bumpy on the sound, there is a boat at my marina that never seems to mind. A Nonsuch 36! While many would not find them "Pretty" in a traditional sense of the word. Traditional is just what they are! The design harkens back to the days when small craft (under 60'') were working vessels. Those days, form followed funtion, and a boats handling and ability to be worked in a wide variety of conditions were paramount. Overhangs? It has none. Simplicity of rig? Just a main, nothing else to worry about.

While other vessels are cowering at the dock, I see this boat always going out with the owners smiling. I have never sailed on one, but have heard that they are stable and swift, if not overly fast in light air. When I have chatted with the owners of these boats after a cruise, I have never found a group of more enthusiastic individuals regarding their boats.

I would be interested in Jeff''s comments on this design, as it seems to meet many of his requirements when discussing the merits of a properly designed cruiser, albeit one that could go on a diet!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook