SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Aftermarket oil pressure and temperature alarm.

9K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  JimsCAL 
#1 ·
The old westerbeke 4108 on my boat doesn't have any sort of high temp or low oil pressure alarm on it. As close of an eye as I keep on it I'd still feel a lot better if I had an audible alarm telling me as soon as something goes wrong.

Can anyone recommend an alarm unit that can take advantage of the existing oil pressture and coolant termpature sending units? Options seem fairly limited after a few google searches. Thanks,

LW

#3 · (Edited)
I made an oil pressure alarm from an old Mazda oil pressure switch, an old BMW relay, and an old automobile horn.

Total cost... about $5, back in 1992.

It still works, 15 years on, and would waken the dead.

This is the schematic...

Image of oil pressure switch alarm with relay - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

You can wire it in an afternoon, and if anything fails, pull another bit from an old car, and stick it in there.

Remember to fuse the circuit. Use an in-line fuse. They work fine.

Rockter.

#4 ·
Westerbeke makes an engine panel called the Admiral. It has the alarms you want, as well as a tach, and gauges for temp, oil, and battery volts. It's keyed and has glo-plug and starting push buttons.

If you have a compatible engine harness, then it's just plug-and-play. My older engine's harness wasn't compatible with the new panel, but many of the wires needed replacing anyway, so I just wrote a bigger check to have it all redone. I'm glad I did too -- some of the wires on the old panel were really brittle.

#6 ·
Most alarms use pressure and temperature switches, not the analog senders that work with the gauges. West Marine sells a Cole Hersee engine warning kit that includes an oil pressure switch, water temperature switch, and alarm buzzer for $43. Install the switches and a little wiring and you have a complete alarm system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.