SailNet Community - View Single Post - Im a complete IDIOT!
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2008

stu9000 is on a distinguished road
The end result

Just got an email back from Rob @ Epoxy-resins.co.uk

I think ive got away with it but im somewhat humbled by the mistakes ive made.

Not mixing the epoxy correctly was just dumb.

Not being aware that csm matt should not be used with epoxy is a bolt from the blue! All I can say is thanks for bringing it up!

I asked Rob about this and he replied:

"chopped strand matting is normally held together with a binder that dissolves in Syrene Monomer which is found in polyester resins, epoxy does not contain any Styrene so the epoxy is actaully adhered to the adhesive that holds the fibres together not the actual fibres them selve. That is unless the csm you have is " E " glass in which case you would be OK as epoxy will bond through the powder bonding agent on the mat through to the glass filaments.
When using epoxy the rule of thumb is use woven or stiched fabrics rathe than random laid bonded ones unless they specify that they are laid up for use with epoxy.
The way you describe your planned repair sounds OK and you should not have problems in the future and I doubt weather you will have any delamination problems."

The key phrase for me was "the epoxy is actaully adhered to the adhesive that holds the fibres together".

Sounds like for the work im doing its not that big a deal.

Ive just checked the website and there is no specific info about whether it is "E glass" or appropriate or not to use with Epoxy. Ive sent an email.

I bought these items from somewhere else and will be buying from Epoxy-Resins.co.uk
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook