SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help! Advice needed.
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2008

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Help! Advice needed.

Well our new to us boat is not going to be in its new slip today as planned. I had to travel for work this week so I opted to hire a Captain to deliver the boat while I was 1/2 way across the country. Of course, it turns out he only got a short ways before the engine began overheating so he turned back and called me. There was no indication of this on the survey and the one thing I did thought I did do right, was run the engine pretty hard during the sea trial. The plan was to take vacation the week of the 4th to get to know our new boat and that's all in shambles.

Anyway after several hours of diagnosis and work, it turns out the coolant (some sort of biodegradeable version) used has not been changed in some time, and according to the Captain who agreed to watch over the mechanics for me, it had sludged up the thermostat pretty good. The yard replaced the theromstat and removed and flushed the heat exchanger and now says the engine was showing around 170 degrees running hard. I asked the mechanic if he had seen this type of thing before, and he said it was not unheard of. Asked to rate the severity of the problem, I got the impression it was more towards the worst he's seen end of the spectrum, than the no big deal end, but he seemed to think the situation was resolved. I'm still trying to get a few more details out of him, and he is supposed to get back to me tomorrow.

My concern is could the engine itself be sludged up as well, and what if anything to do about it?

It seemed the yard really wants to be done with me but that might have been because they knew I was trying to get the boat moved. Now the earliest the Captain can move it is next Monday. So I have some time, and I want to be confident that the engine is not a problem waiting to happen when I do move the boat. What should I do?

Please share your thoughts, advice and commiserations.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook