SailNet Community - View Single Post - Semi-Newbie Question
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 06-24-2008 Thread Starter
MikeAZ

Semi-Newbie Question

Hello All,
Iím seriously thinking about acquiring a Catalina 30, but after scouring post for a few days I see many different points of view. The worst being if you untie from the dock it will sink.
A bit about myself. I had a Catalina 25 for a few years in the 80's and have quite a bit of time sailing the Channel Islands out of Ventura, Ca. A good place to learn in my opnion considering the radical wind, current and swell changes. I also have several 2 to 3 week trips in the same area driving a commercial fishing boat, so I do know when to run and hide. San Miguel with the Santa Annas is not a pretty place. I also raced an outboard capsuled tunnel boat for a few years, so I do have some time on the water.
I plan on slipping this boat in San Diego for a get away from the Phoenix summers ( floating condo ) but would also like to do some occasional cruising. Is the Cat 30 capable of the Baja Ha Ha? Could I do a trip north for a few weeks?
The 1st time I seen the inside of the 30 was wow look at all of the room. I have a family with a 3 year old daughter and a son?? on the way. I am trading my 35' motorhome so I will be down sizing to the wife and need as much room as possible in my budget.

Thanks for any help and insight

Mike
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome