SailNet Community - View Single Post - Semi-Newbie Question
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2008

MikeAZ is on a distinguished road
Semi-Newbie Question

Hello All,
Iím seriously thinking about acquiring a Catalina 30, but after scouring post for a few days I see many different points of view. The worst being if you untie from the dock it will sink.
A bit about myself. I had a Catalina 25 for a few years in the 80's and have quite a bit of time sailing the Channel Islands out of Ventura, Ca. A good place to learn in my opnion considering the radical wind, current and swell changes. I also have several 2 to 3 week trips in the same area driving a commercial fishing boat, so I do know when to run and hide. San Miguel with the Santa Annas is not a pretty place. I also raced an outboard capsuled tunnel boat for a few years, so I do have some time on the water.
I plan on slipping this boat in San Diego for a get away from the Phoenix summers ( floating condo ) but would also like to do some occasional cruising. Is the Cat 30 capable of the Baja Ha Ha? Could I do a trip north for a few weeks?
The 1st time I seen the inside of the 30 was wow look at all of the room. I have a family with a 3 year old daughter and a son?? on the way. I am trading my 35' motorhome so I will be down sizing to the wife and need as much room as possible in my budget.

Thanks for any help and insight

Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook